Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Divorce and Remarriage

A lot of my blog posts have talked about how to make immediate marriages and families successful, but over 60% of families in America live in separated families. Thankfully, these numbers are slowly declining, however LDS divorces, according to my professor, are inclining.
Divorce is hard, I have had to deal with it my whole life.
I found a lot of the facts that we discussed matched my own situation of living in separated households. One of the biggest problems I faced in my other household (with my dad and stepmom) was getting along with her. She was indeed a very nice lady, but I felt uncomfortable knowing she was taking control of me and becoming a new parent. I wasn't used to it and I didn't like it. In fact, a lot of children now days can relate.
The first presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gave a few points of advice on how to make divorces successful, though:
  • It will take at least two years for the new step family to feel "normality"
  • The birth-parent should be in charge of all of the heavy discipline
  • The mom and dad should have open council with each other
  • The step-parent should act as if they are an uncle or aunt to the new child (mostly there for play, not for discipline)
I hope these tips help your families out if you are in that 60% of separated families. I feel for the hardships of new families and I understand they are difficult times but they can be managed.

This will be my last blog post for this class. I appreciate all of the comments and support I have received for my blog. Thank you guys so much! I have enjoyed this class alloy and have learned so much. :)

Please comment in the opinions of mine and others and have a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment